Salaam Alaikum,

I tend to miss Salaat on certain days and it’s not because I don’t want to but rather because I’m a target of laziness and procrastination. I’m very well aware that all of this is Shaytan’s temptations but sometimes it’s quite easy to tread upon that path.

Each and every time the time for Salaat arrives, it always seems to me that 30 minutes left of Salaat is of the same equivalence as 30 seconds. The mentality of such an initiative had been sparked many years from an experience upon commencing boarding school.

We were taught on a daily basis that it’s only appropriate to start something 10 minutes earlier than the actual time. The method wedged into my brain so clearly and perfectly that in every situation, I begin the task 10-15 minutes earlier. Going to class, waking up, homework, etc. However, there’s a downside on such a method. Because 10 minutes flew by so rapidly, I’ve increased it to 15 minutes, and then 15 minutes finally evolved into 30 minutes. With the aim of being on time and concise, 30 minutes appears to race on incredibly swiftly. By the time I turn around to catch a glimpse of the time, a half an hour zoomed by without even any notice.

The knowledge that Shaytan is breathing temptations and laziness into my ears is enough to terminate or put on hold of any activities, make ablution and go on my way of performing Salaat. This attitude helps me on performing Fajr on many occasions because of my disobedience toward Shaytaan.

Allah says in the Qur’an:
For his sake there are angels following one another, before him and behind him, who guard him by Allah's commandment; surely Allah does not change the condition of a people until they change their own condition; and when Allah intends evil to a people, there is no averting it, and besides Him they have no protector. [13:11]

Therefore, when I continue to procrastinate knowingly and hold laziness over my head, there’s no way I can expect Allah to push me toward Salaat. Unless I give a bit of perseverance into my own work and try even a little bit to change my circumstance in any manner, I have no right whatsoever to complain as to why Allah won’t answer my questions or improve my situations.

In addition, Allah states:
Surely We have shown him the way: he may be thankful or unthankful. [Qur’an, 76:3]
And pointed out to him the two conspicuous ways? [Qur’an, 90:10]

When someone claims how Islam gives no choice and you either burn in Hell for choosing against Allah vs being subservient, what they don’t realize is that they are given a choice. Obviously there are consequences. Well, duh. Obviously, when you are submissive in any situation, you are rewarded whereas when you defy, you face pessimistic consequences.

And then again, we always complain how Allah refuses to listen to us and ramble on about all the negative situations going on in our lives. And once again, we fail to realize that all the bad lucks that doom our state of living is our fault because we give into temptation. But then again, Allah forgives us yet we can’t forgive others of the simplest disputes. “And whatever affliction befalls you, it is on account of what your hands have wrought, and (yet) He pardons most (of your faults).” [Qur’an, 42:30]

Not only should we try to make the best out of whatever situations, though it does sound somewhat clichéd, we should always attempt to bow down to Allah willingly and ask Him for His pardon, Mercy and Help because we are unaware of what will happen next. “Surely Allah is He with Whom is the knowledge of the hour, and He sends down the rain and He knows what is in the wombs; and no one knows what he shall earn on the morrow; and no one knows in what land he shall die; surely Allah is Knowing, Aware.” [Qur’an, 31:34]

And finally, there are certain people who believe they can outsmart Allah but they truly forget that Allah knows all, hears all and sees all. “Verily, the hypocrites seek to deceive Allah, but it is He Who deceives them. And when they stand up for As-Salat (the prayer), they stand with laziness and to be seen of men, and they do not remember Allah but little.”( سورة النساء , An-Nisa, Chapter #4, Verse #142)

Wa Alaikum Salaam

0 comments: