From Kufr to Islam : Abdul Hakim   SOURCE : Abdul Hakim Smith / Prisoners of Faith
 28 September 2008 http://helptheprisoners.org/index.php?storyid=2&cat=lifestories
 
Bismillahir-Rahmanir-Raheem

O Allah bestow Your favour upon Muhammad and his wives and his Ummah. May Allah increase our eeman and grant us taqwa whilst leaving in our footprints righteousness, Ameen.

To my dear brothers and sisters in Islam, Assalaamu Alaikum WR WB.


As you can see I am now answering to the name Abdul Hakim and have been for the last 14 months, but I actually took my shahadah in June 2001 and this is one of the issues that I want to talk about. For those five years or so I was living my life in continued ignorance, walking around in a state of Kufr, whilst still calling myself a Muslim.



Let me explain: I had no idea how to pray, how to make wudhu and the do’s and don’ts of Islam. I had never read more than a few pages of the Quran. I think the reason for all of this was PRIDE and SHAME – the whispering of shaytan – rather than ask the simple questions how and why do I do this and that, I pretended as if I already knew. Drugs, alcohol, fighting mine and my friend’s battles and being in touch with the latest style of music that’s being used to corrupt the minds of those that listen to it. These were the things that mattered to me and my friends, the great majority of which were non-believers. The point I’m trying to get across is that (I believe) because of the lack of dawa, either from the words or actions of other Muslim brothers, shaytan was winning the battle in keeping me from the one true path. The two points I am trying to make are:

1. We as Muslims should never shy away from asking for the help of our brothers and sisters in matters like seeking knowledge.

1. It’s our responsibility to make sure that our brothers and sisters feel comfortable in trying to learn from us, but we should try to make our dawa interesting so the persons don’t mind spending time listening and remembering what’s being said to them. ( I mean why talk to a gunman about knives? He will not be interested)

I started this my first and only time in prison aged 18 in Feltham YOI in 1997, and I personally never saw anybody practising Islam seriously. I was made an adult prisoner aged 19 (due to bad behaviour) and sent to an adult institute namely HMP Whitemoor. Now maybe because I was just running about, doing my own thing, or maybe not, but I saw only a few brothers who lived their lives under Islam. This was the same for me in HMP Long Lartin, HMP Full Sutton, and HMP Frankland. It was whilst on my second time around these prisons Whitemoor and Long Lartin that I first started to see brothers who were actually practising the Deen and this was 2005-2006, SubhanAllah, still it was just a few brothers. Then I went to HMP Belmarsh, MashAllah, lots and lots of strong brothers, the eeman has to increase because of the amount of brothers there. Anyway I was there for about six months before going back to Frankland and alhamdulillah I’ve now seen and heard about many brothers who are now practising the Deen. It ranges from brothers who have been practising for a long time, to brothers who have just accepted Islam, from brothers who MashAllah are very knowledgeable to brothers who are not so knowledgeable but are in search of knowledge.

And it is for this reason that I am saying that as Muslims have a duty to let our action be our first course for dawa, so that people can help them to feel comfortable to ask questions that’s been on their minds. We should use the wisdom that we have to which brothers are struggling, and give them the answers to questions that they don’t yet know, but would greatly benefit them.

Now, as for the personal change that I have gone through over the last year or so. I’d say that alhamdulillah, my eeman, taqwa and birr has increased. This in turn has changed my whole way of life. From the way I walk and talk to the people who I walk and talk with. The crazy music that I use to listen to and drink to and dance to and do drugs to has all changed. And where before I use to respect what I did and the people who did what I did, I no longer have that respect for it or them.

Now I listen to the recitation of the holy Quran, nasheeds or lectures. And when I read, I read the translation of the holy Quran or books that give me a better understanding of Islam and the people of Islam (Majority of the time).

I try to be humble in my actions and thoughts and polite and understanding. Whereas before my confrontations were mostly about things that were haraam and for causes that were to do with my fighting for things of dunya. ‘Now’ I accept little if any violation but my cause is the fight for Jannah. And the concept of wanting for my brothers what I want for myself is very much a big part of my life.

Insha-Allah I have been able to bring some kind of understanding of how Islam is on an increase in Prison as well as outside. I live from salah to salah and Insha-Allah one day I’ll be able to get married and make hajj.

May Allah keep us all guided on the true path on Islam, Ameen. Raise your hands for us as we raise our hands for you.

Wa alaikum assalaam.

Abdul Hakim AKA Shevon Smith


0 comments: