Muslim Brothers:
What is WRONG with you? You sit there and blatantly criticize, condemn, and humiliate me PUBLICLY for writing to male prisoners but what do you expect me to do when you won’t even fulfill your part of the deen? I shouldn’t even have to be doing this when it is your duty. You forget that I am someone’s daughter, someone’s sister and one day, Heaven will be underneath MY feet, not yours, but MINE. And out of all of you, when a brother mocks me, not a SINGLE one of you stand up beside me or defend me because it’s more entertaining for you to let this circus continue at the cost of a female’s emotion. You slander me, the things I do, you create dumb topics on the adaab of giving charity when you could confront me but I am just doing my duty. You show disgust when I pass around a petition, you loathe me spending time giving a damn about any of this but I don’t get it. What do you then want me to do? Become one of you and sip on my rootbeer? I don’t think so.

But I am your Muslim sister. I’m supposed to give you 70 excuses; I’m giving you the benefit of the doubt and making 70 excuses but what happens then when it runs out? I am supposed to love you for the sake of Allah swt but how can I love my Muslim brothers when they turn a blind eye toward oppression and injustice? You say you care but I have yet to see this in action. And someone please explain to me why a nonMuslim sister willingly sacrificed 45 minutes to write to a prisoner she has no clue about when she should have been studying for exams the next day while you brothers were lying in your comfy bed counting sheep. And why is it that I have more nonMuslims showing support when the Ummah is too lazy to get up off their seats?

You disparage my acts and vilify the fact that I write to prisoners. You accuse me of committing fitnah and all but tell me, what exactly am I supposed to do? Why is it that more than 80 percent of those involved in the plight of prisoners are sisters when it should be 90 percent brothers? I don’t understand why you are sleeping through all of this. What exactly would it take for you to wake up and realize that these people are your brothers and sisters in Islam and that you will be held accountable for every deed and action, for every chance you had to put barakah in your life and someone else’s but you decided that someone else would do your bidding. All the while, when I saw injustice like this occurring, I always said “Eh, someone else will do it. I’m just one person.” Well, what do you think the next person said? And the next? If you think I’m using guilt tactics to make you do things, then good on me. It took me that half an ounce of guilt to write my first letter and then I realized, I love doing this for the sake of Allah swt. Maybe someone should take your brother, incarcerate him and induce all sorts of torture on him. Would that then open your eyes toward how serious the situation is?

What else can I do? I’ve created groups for you to anonymously send messages to prisoners, I’ve created a PO Box for you to send in personal letters while remaining anonymous, I’ve even sacrificed my time to find alternatives thinking that one of you will extend your hand out in charity to me for the sake of Allah swt. Yet, you didn’t.

For the past 113 days, I have been writing to prisoners EVERY SINGLE DAY. And that’s not even an exaggeration; I have been counting since my first day. And out of those 113 days, not once did a single brother bother to ask me “Oh sister, how can I help? Here, can you give me an address to write to my Muslim brothers?” No, not once. But I stayed patient and thought “Hmm… one day InshaAllah my brothers in Islam will send a letter.” Why do I have people from France, UK and Malaysia sending me letters to mail to prisoners, people that are complete strangers who live all the way across the sea yet my own brothers in my hometown are clicking their life away on FaceBook? You belittle me, absolutely belittle me for doing these small things because I am a female. When you won’t stand up for me or for those oppressed, I have no other choice.

You do not care for these people but you can spend 30 minutes on FaceBook sending me pathetic messages, flirting with me, trying every little pitiable act in the book to catch my attention when I have a picture of a skanky female on my profile picture because somewhere in your diminutive brains, you think that it’s me. You run after me like dogs running after a cat thinking that you’re somehow going to benefit from it and when I tell you I’m not interested, you go on forums and act like complete jerks toward me. You deserve my blunt and harshness. Yet when I have a picture up of a prisoner, of a Qur’an or even of a stupid motorcycle, you do not even give a second thought as to who I am. I do not care for your praises or your flirty messages. I just want you to care for even a second, maybe even put yourselves in their positions. Instead of wasting those 30 minutes running around in circles, you could have composed a letter.

How sad is it that a Muslim sister has to speak to you in this manner for you to even get out of that notion that this is not your duty? Do you not know what Allah says in the Qur’an? Surah Al Ma’idah, Aayah 9, says “O you who believe! Stand out firmly for God, as witnesses to fair dealing, and let not the hatred of others to you make you swerve to wrong and depart from justice. Be just; that is next to piety; and fear God. For God is well acquainted with all that ye do.” And in a Hadith, Sahih Al Bukhari 3.624, narrated by Anas RA, Allah's Apostle said, "Help your brother, whether he is an oppressor or he is an oppressed one." People asked, "O Allah's Apostle! It is all right to help him if he is oppressed, but how should we help him if he is an oppressor?" The Prophet said, "By preventing him from oppressing others."
I do not hate brothers, I do not hate people. It is the acts that I very much detest.

Muslim Organizations:
You claim that you help these families under stress and oppression but when will we ever see that happen? You have no problem sponsoring some fruitcake to climb a stupid mountain or recruit some idiots to go canoeing but when it comes to spending a buck on the prisoners, you crawl back behind your little pathetic desks.

Muslim Leaders:
You preach that we shouldn’t fear anyone besides Allah yet when you do not stand up for the oppressed, you are going against your own preachings. You are giving the authority and power of Allah to inferior men when you fear them. You say you care and then you say it’s not a matter of the Masjid but it is! You condemn the acts of oppression but you support the oppressors by staying silent. You say you will help these families in any way you can but when? You act all holy and sheikhy but please! I have yet to see you lift a bloody finger toward all this.

If you all think that I am frustrated, you couldn’t be any further from the truth. All these acts of laziness and patheticness from the Ummah, especially the brothers, make me more passionate about this cause. Don’t worry, I know I will be rewarded for all these deeds but I just worry for you. Let’s see what you will say to Allah on the Day of Judgement. I admit that not all brothers are as stupid and ignorant and backward as I have mentioned but the majority of you are. You will be leaders one day, you will be leading your daughters and what are you going to say when a stranger criticizes your beloved daughter for something she is passionate about? I know I am blunt in my words but I do have a heart, otherwise I wouldn’t be doing this at my own cost. I do not care what you think of me. I do not want to be seen as an object. I want you to be able to look past my profile picture and know that I love my brothers for what they do, not because of their physical attributions. I love my Ummah greatly but you have failed me and many others. I know who you are but most importantly, Allah knows who you are. May Allah guide you AND me. Ameen.

7 comments:

Fawad said...

That was very well written sister. I'm glad you found an outlet to all of the disgust you felt. I wasn't aware of how the whole letter process works, but I'd be more than happy to send a letter to show the support of a brother. I'll be the first to say, what can I do to help?

Peace

P.S if you're interested, my friends and I discuss and debate injustices (Islamic as well as not) on Facebook so you can add me if you wanted to speak with like-minded individuals.

Anonymous said...

Do what your heart tells you. That is what God wants you to do. There is nothing wrong with trying to heal hearts and spread love. Those that mock you do not know charity and kindness of the heart without a selfish motive. God will reward you because only he knows your heart. Dont let anyone get you down when all you are trying to do is wrong a right. Stay strong and pray and you will know how to proceed. ~PEACE~
Mike Kerr

Mujahid E Musafir© said...

Thank you to the both of you. Those were some very beautiful words. Brother Fawad, I will forward you the details on FaceBook.

Huey P Muslim said...

Salam alaykum sister,

Alhumduillah for this post, ma'shallah you had the courage to say what everyone else is thinking.

I can tell you in 2 years of helping prisoners, the number of brothers i've met doing the same number about 10. Out of those, the ones doing it for "free" ( i.e. not drawing a salary or so-called "expenses" ) is probably about 3.

The brothers I have realised on the whole are a joke, and it pains me to say that as a brother myself. Without fail I will always get at least one mail from a sister wanting to help every week, but from brothers maybe one a year, they contact me once and then I never hear from them again.

don't even get me started on the organisations, its all talk, funding and little action.

anyway sister if you ever want any help on any project, just let me know, you can reach me on the helptheprisoners website.

Jazakhallah khair and walaykum salam,

Umar

amaney said...

SubhanaAllah sister, may Allah swt reward you for your dedication. I agree with you, on everything you said. I would just like to add...we should always strive to keep an optomistic outlook in life, because it only gets harder with time, subhanaAllah. So instead of looking at what everyone (the brothers, muslim orgs, muslim countries, etc) isn't doing, look at it this way.... their is more reward for ME to get, and I shall get as much of it as I can! That way, their inaction doesn't distract you from accomplishing your goals. Allow the people to go on with their lives as if nothing is happening, but don't let that be a reason for you to stop what you are doing or even waste your time talking out against it too much. Your time is more valuable than that.


And lastly, NEVER EVER EVER lose hope in the power of doua! You want 1000 brothers to start taking action? Then let's make doua for our Muslim Brothers...sincere douas, when it is most likely to be accepted (i.e. in the last third of the night, when it rains, in qiyam or tahajud, etc).

May Allah swt preserve you and your family, and make this work of yours a means for your entrance into His Jannah! Ameen.

Love your sister in Islam :)

Mujahid E Musafir© said...

Thank you all for your beautiful comments. It's an issue that has been addressed by so many people. And people should be doing these things without making a salary out of it. That's like "hey, I'll give you human rights but just pay me a few hundred bucks in return." It doesn't work that way. *SIGH*

Asif said...

Keep up the good work